What to do
Toulouse, France is a beautiful city full of history and culture. It is the fourth largest city in France and is known for its lively atmosphere, stunning architecture, and vibrant nightlife. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an exciting family vacation, there are plenty of things to do in Toulouse. Here are 10 items to check out while visiting this amazing city.
- Visit the Basilica of St. Sernin – This 11th century basilica is one of the largest Romanesque churches in Europe and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is an impressive sight to behold and its interior features intricate designs and stunning stained glass windows.
- Take a stroll through the Jardin des Plantes – This public garden was founded in 1626 and is home to a variety of plants and trees. There are also several sculptures throughout the garden, making it a great place to relax and take in the beauty of nature.
- Explore the Place du Capitole – This large square is located in the heart of Toulouse and is home to many important buildings such as the Town Hall, the Opera House, and the National Theatre. It’s also a great place to people watch or just take in the sights.
- Visit the Musée des Augustins – This museum is located in an old Augustinian monastery and features a variety of artwork from different periods in history. It’s a great place to learn about the history of Toulouse.
- Take a boat ride on the Garonne River – The Garonne River runs through Toulouse and offers some stunning views of the city. You can take a boat ride along the river and admire the scenery.
- Check out the Cité de l’Espace – This space-themed park is located just outside of Toulouse and features interactive exhibits, shows, and rides that will delight both children and adults alike.
- Visit the Church of Les Jacobins – This church was built in 1229 by Dominicans and features stunning Gothic architecture. It’s a great place to explore if you’re interested in religious history.
- Explore the Musée des Augustins – This museum features artwork from different periods in history, including ancient Roman artifacts. It’s a great place to learn about Toulouse’s past.
- Go shopping at Place du Capitole – This large square is home to many shops, restaurants, and cafes. You can find anything from souvenirs to designer clothing here.
- Take a tour of Toulouse Cathedral – This cathedral was built in 1214 and features stunning Gothic architecture. You can take a guided tour of the cathedral to learn more about its history.
What to Avoid
Toulouse has many wonderful attractions, but there are also some places that visitors should avoid. Here are 5 places or attractions to avoid while visiting Toulouse:
- The Old Town: While it may be tempting to explore this area due to its historic buildings, it is best avoided due to its high crime rate.
- The Gare de Toulouse-Matabiau Train Station: This train station can be quite dangerous at night due to pickpockets and other criminals.
- Les Carmes Market: This market has been known for its shady dealings, so it’s best avoided unless you want to risk getting scammed or robbed.
- The Pont Neuf Bridge: This bridge has been known for its high rate of suicides, so it’s best avoided if you want to stay safe.
- The Place du Capitole at Night: While this square can be quite lively during the day, it can be quite dangerous at night due to pickpockets and other criminals.