Things to Do in Almere, Netherlands
Almere is a modern city located in the province of Flevoland, Netherlands. It is known for its idyllic waterfront and vibrant cultural scene. Whether you are visiting Almere for a few days or a lifetime, there are plenty of things to do and see. Here are ten of the best attractions and activities in Almere, along with five places to avoid.
1. Explore the Almere Haven Marina
The Almere Haven Marina is located on the Ijsselmeer lake and is home to numerous boats and yachts. Take a stroll along the docks and admire the luxury vessels, then enjoy a bite to eat at one of the nearby restaurants. Boating enthusiasts can even rent a boat or take a guided tour to explore the lake.
2. Visit the Oostvaardersplassen Nature Reserve
The Oostvaardersplassen Nature Reserve is an expansive area of wetlands, grasslands, and woodlands. Home to many species of birds, animals, and plants, it is the perfect place to go for a leisurely hike or bike ride. Visitors can also take part in guided tours and educational activities.
3. Spend the Day at Strandbad Almere Beach
Strandbad Almere Beach is a popular beach destination in Almere. Spend a day lounging on the sand, swimming in the lake, or playing beach volleyball. There are also plenty of restaurants and bars nearby for a bite to eat or a refreshing drink.
4. Shop at the Almere Stad Shopping Centre
The Almere Stad Shopping Centre is one of the largest shopping malls in the Netherlands. With more than 200 stores, it is the perfect place to shop for clothes, electronics, and other items. There are also plenty of restaurants and cafes to refuel after a day of shopping.
5. Check Out the Almere Museum
The Almere Museum is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the city. Exhibitions showcase traditional Dutch crafts, as well as modern artworks from local artists. The museum also hosts regular events and workshops.
6. Enjoy a Night Out at the Theater
The Theater Almere is the city’s premier performing arts venue. Catch a show or concert, or head to one of the many bars and clubs in the area for a night out. There are also plenty of restaurants serving up delicious international cuisine.
7. Take a Boat Trip on the Markermeer Lake
Take a boat trip on the Markermeer lake and admire the stunning scenery. Go fishing, take a leisurely cruise, or explore the nearby islands. There are plenty of boat rental companies in the area, so you can find the perfect vessel for your adventure.
8. See the Animals at the Dierenpark Amersfoort Zoo
The Dierenpark Amersfoort Zoo is located just outside of Almere and is home to more than 200 species of animals. Take a stroll through the park and spot lions, tigers, giraffes, and more. There are also plenty of rides and attractions for the whole family to enjoy.
9. Relax in the Park
Almere has plenty of parks and gardens for visitors to relax in. Stadspark Almere is the largest park in the city, with lush greenery, tranquil ponds, and plenty of space for picnics and barbecues. Other popular parks include the Oostvaardersplassen Nature Reserve and the Almere Haven Marina.
10. Attend an Event at the Jaarbeurs Utrecht
The Jaarbeurs Utrecht is one of the largest convention centers in the Netherlands. It hosts a variety of events throughout the year, ranging from trade shows and concerts to conferences and seminars. Check the website to see what’s coming up during your visit.
Places to Avoid in Almere
1. The Station District: This area of Almere is known for its high crime rate and should be avoided by visitors.
2. The Red Light District: This area of town is not suitable for families and should be avoided.
3. The Industrial Zone: This is an industrial area with heavy traffic and pollution and should be avoided.
4. The Forest: While the forests around Almere are beautiful, they are also home to wild animals and should be avoided by those who are not familiar with the area.
5. The Slums: The slum areas of Almere are dangerous and should be avoided.