Tilburg: 10 Things to do and 5 Places to Avoid
Tilburg is a city in the Netherlands, located in the province of North Brabant. It has a population of more than 200,000 people, making it the sixth-largest city in the country. With its vibrant art scene, cultural attractions, and numerous parks and green spaces, Tilburg is an excellent destination for tourists and locals alike. In this article, we’ll take a look at 10 great places to visit in Tilburg, as well as five places to avoid.
1. The Textile Museum
The Textile Museum in Tilburg is one of the most popular attractions in the city. It houses a huge collection of textiles from all over the world, from ancient times to the present day. Visitors can learn about the history of textiles and how they have shaped our lives, as well as getting a look at some of the most impressive pieces in the museum’s collection.
2. The Nature Park De Groote Heide
Nature Park De Groote Heide is one of the largest nature reserves in the Netherlands and is located just outside of Tilburg. Visitors can explore the park on foot or by bike, taking in the stunning scenery and wildlife. The park is also home to several small lakes and ponds, making it an ideal spot for a picnic or a refreshing swim.
3. The Tilburg Zoo
The Tilburg Zoo is one of the largest zoos in the Netherlands and is home to a wide variety of animals, from tigers and lions to monkeys and reptiles. Visitors can get up close and personal with the animals, as well as exploring the zoo’s gardens, aviaries, and playgrounds.
4. The Movie Theater Paradiso
The Movie Theater Paradiso is one of the best movie theaters in Tilburg. It hosts a variety of films, from blockbusters to independent films, and offers a great selection of snacks and drinks for visitors to enjoy.
5. The Wilhelmina Square
The Wilhelmina Square is a vibrant public square in the center of Tilburg. It is home to a number of restaurants and bars, as well as a popular market on Saturdays. The square is also a popular spot for live music and other events.
6. The Tilburg University Library
The Tilburg University Library is one of the largest university libraries in the Netherlands. It houses a vast collection of books and other materials, as well as offering a number of services to students and researchers. The library also hosts a number of exhibitions and events throughout the year.
7. The Tilburg Music Hall
The Tilburg Music Hall is a popular venue for concerts, theater performances, and other events. The hall is home to a wide range of musical acts, from classical orchestras to rock bands, and is a great place to catch a show.
8. The Tilburg City Park
The Tilburg City Park is a large public park located in the center of the city. It is home to a number of attractions, including a lake and boating area, a children’s playground, and a botanical garden. The park is also a popular spot for picnics and outdoor activities.
9. The Natural History Museum
The Natural History Museum in Tilburg is one of the oldest museums in the city. It houses a large collection of artifacts and specimens, from fossils to minerals, and is an excellent place to learn about the history of the region.
10. The De Oude Warande
The De Oude Warande is a large public park located in the north of Tilburg. It is home to a number of attractions, including a lake, a playground, and a botanical garden. The park is also a popular spot for jogging and biking.
Places to Avoid
1. The Stadspark: The Stadspark is a large public park located in the center of Tilburg. While it does offer some nice views, it is also known for being a hotspot for crime and other illegal activities. It is best to avoid this area, especially after dark.
2. The Train Station at Night: The train station in Tilburg is a busy and bustling place during the day, but at night it can be quite dangerous. There have been reports of muggings and other crimes in the area, so it is best to avoid the station after dark.
3. The Oudestraat: The Oudestraat is a busy street in the center of Tilburg. It is known for being a hotspot for drug dealers and other criminals, so it is best to avoid this area.
4. The Red Light District: The Red Light District in Tilburg is a popular tourist destination, but it is also known for its crime. Prostitution and other illegal activities are common in the area, so it is best to avoid it.
5. The Graafseweg: The Graafseweg is a busy street in Tilburg that is known for its high crime rate. There have been reports of robberies, muggings, and other crimes in the area, so it is best to avoid it.