Jonesboro, Arkansas: 10 Things to Do and 5 to Avoid
Jonesboro, Arkansas is a vibrant city located in the heart of the Ozark Mountains. From outdoor activities to cultural attractions, Jonesboro has something for everyone. Here are 10 things you can do in Jonesboro and 5 places that you should avoid.
1. Visit Craighead Forest Park
Craighead Forest Park is a great place to explore the outdoors. It has over 300 acres of hiking trails, fishing ponds, playgrounds, and picnic areas. The park also has an amphitheater, where you can see live performances from local artists. You can also take a boat ride on the lake or rent a canoe to explore the park’s many creeks and streams.
2. Take a Trip to the Mall at Turtle Creek
The Mall at Turtle Creek is the perfect place to shop and dine in Jonesboro. It has over 130 stores, including major department stores and boutiques. There are also several restaurants and cafes, as well as a movie theater. The mall is also home to the Arkansas State University Museum, which features exhibits about the state’s history and culture.
3. Attend a Game at Arkansas State University
Arkansas State University is home to some of the most exciting college sports in the country. The Red Wolves play football, basketball, baseball, and other sports in front of enthusiastic fans. You can also attend concerts and special events at the university.
4. Visit the ASU Natural Heritage Site
The ASU Natural Heritage Site is a great place to learn about the natural history of the area. It has over 1,000 acres of forests, meadows, and wetlands, as well as several endangered species. Visitors can take guided tours of the area and learn about the plants and animals that inhabit it.
5. Explore the Arkansas State Capitol
The Arkansas State Capitol is one of the state’s most impressive buildings. It is home to the Arkansas Senate and House of Representatives, as well as the Governor’s office. Visitors can take a tour of the building and learn about the history of the state.
6. Visit the Museum of Native American History
The Museum of Native American History is a great place to learn about the culture and history of the region’s first inhabitants. The museum features artifacts and exhibits about the lives of the various tribes that lived in the area.
7. Take a Hike on Crow Mountain
Crow Mountain is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of Jonesboro. The mountain offers over 20 miles of hiking trails, as well as stunning views of the Ozark Mountains.
8. Spend an Afternoon at Brown’s Creek Nature Trail
Brown’s Creek Nature Trail is a great place to spend an afternoon. The trail is 3.5 miles long and features several scenic overlooks. It is also home to many species of birds and other wildlife.
9. Enjoy a Day at Lake Frierson
Lake Frierson is a great place to go swimming, boating, and fishing. The lake is surrounded by a nature preserve, so visitors can explore the trails and observe the local wildlife.
10. See a Show at the Forum Theatre
The Forum Theatre is a great place to catch a show in Jonesboro. The theatre hosts a variety of performances, from plays to concerts. You can also take a tour of the building and learn about its history.
5 Places to Avoid in Jonesboro
1. The Jonesboro Public Library: This library has been known to have a lot of crime and vandalism. It is best to avoid this area.
2. Tuttle Park: This park has been known to be a hangout spot for drug dealers. It is best to avoid this area.
3. Downtown Jonesboro: This area has a high crime rate and is best to avoid.
4. West Side Neighborhoods: This area has a high rate of gang activity and is best to avoid.
5. South Jonesboro: This area has a high rate of poverty and is best to avoid.