Pompano Beach, Florida: 10 Things to Do and 5 to Avoid
Pompano Beach, Florida is a beautiful coastal city located in the southeastern part of the state. With miles of sandy beaches and plenty of activities, Pompano Beach is the perfect destination for a fun-filled vacation. From the bustling nightlife scene to the tranquil nature preserves, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in Pompano Beach. Here are 10 things to do in Pompano Beach and five to avoid.
1. Visit Pompano Beach Pier
The Pompano Beach Pier is a popular tourist destination that stretches 1,000 feet into the Atlantic Ocean. Visitors can take in stunning views of the beach and ocean, or even try their hand at fishing. The pier also has a café and several shops where visitors can grab a bite to eat or pick up souvenirs.
2. Enjoy the Beach
No trip to Pompano Beach is complete without spending some time at the beach. The city’s shoreline is lined with white sand and crystal clear waters, perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and beachcombing. Visitors can also rent beach gear from local vendors, such as umbrellas and chairs.
3. Explore the Hillsboro Inlet
The Hillsboro Inlet is a popular spot for boating and fishing. Visitors can rent boats or join guided tours to explore the inlet, which is home to a variety of marine life, including dolphins, sea turtles, and manatees.
4. Spend the Day at Quiet Waters Park
Quiet Waters Park is a great spot for visitors looking for a bit of peace and quiet. The park features walking trails, picnic areas, and a lake, perfect for kayaking and canoeing. There’s also a playground, splash pad, and disc golf course for those looking for a bit of adventure.
5. Tour the Bonnet House Museum & Gardens
The Bonnet House Museum & Gardens is a historic estate located on Fort Lauderdale Beach. The property includes a 35-acre botanical garden, an art gallery, and several buildings filled with antiques and artifacts. Visitors can take guided tours of the house and gardens, or simply wander around and take in the beauty of the estate.
6. Go Shopping at the Pompano Citi Centre
The Pompano Citi Centre is a shopping mall located in the heart of the city. The mall features over 80 stores, including popular retailers like H&M, Old Navy, and Uniqlo. Visitors can also enjoy a meal at one of the mall’s many restaurants or catch a movie at the onsite theater.
7. Visit the Deerfield Island Park
The Deerfield Island Park is a nature preserve located just off the coast of Pompano Beach. Visitors can explore the island’s mangrove forests and marshes, or take a kayak tour of the surrounding waters. The island is also home to a variety of bird species, making it a great spot for birdwatching.
8. Check Out the Pompano Beach Aquatics Center
The Pompano Beach Aquatics Center is a public pool that offers a variety of swimming classes and programs. Visitors can choose from lap swimming, water aerobics, and scuba lessons, among other activities. The center also hosts special events, such as movie nights and pool parties.
9. Take a Walk Along the Pompano Beach Promenade
The Pompano Beach Promenade is a boardwalk that stretches along the beach. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll along the promenade, or stop at one of the nearby shops or restaurants. The promenade is also home to several public art pieces, making it a great spot for photography.
10. Catch a Show at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater
The Pompano Beach Amphitheater is a popular venue for concerts, plays, and other live performances. The amphitheater hosts a variety of shows throughout the year, from rock concerts to ballet performances. Visitors can also enjoy a meal at one of the amphitheater’s outdoor restaurants.
Things to Avoid
1. Driving on the beach. While it may be tempting to take a drive on the beach, it is illegal in Pompano Beach and can result in a hefty fine.
2. Parking in residential areas. Parking in residential neighborhoods can be a nuisance to local homeowners and is strictly prohibited.
3. Swimming in the inlets. The inlets around Pompano Beach can be dangerous, and swimming in them is not recommended.
4. Feeding wildlife. Feeding wild animals can have negative consequences, such as encouraging them to become dependent on humans.
5. Littering. Littering is illegal in Pompano Beach and can result in a fine.