Green Cove Springs is a city in the Clay County of Florida. It is situated on the St. Johns River and is famous for its natural beauty and historic landmarks. The city has a population of approximately 7,000 people and attracts thousands of tourists yearly. Here are ten places you should visit and five places you should avoid when in Green Cove Springs.
Places to visit:
1. The Spring Park: The natural spring is the main attraction of the city. The scenic park surrounding the spring offers picnic facilities and recreational opportunities.
2. The Military Museum: The Military museum displays a large collection of weapons, vehicles, uniforms, and other artifacts. The museum also has an area dedicated to the city’s military history.
3. The Rockefeller Gardens: The Rockefeller Gardens is a serene and tranquil garden located adjacent to Spring Park. The garden has a variety of plants, trees, and a pond with plenty of fish.
4. The Augusta Savage Art Gallery: The Augusta Savage Art Gallery is dedicated to showcasing work by local artists. It is a great place to appreciate art and make contributions to the art community.
5. The Clay County Historical Museum: The Clay County Historical Museum traces the history of Clay County from prehistoric times to modern day. It is a comprehensive museum packed with interesting exhibits.
6. River Park: River Park is a beautiful place to picnic, jog, swim, jog or go camping. It has great views of the St. Johns River and clear freshwater spring to cool off or fish.
7. The Equestrian Center: The Equestrian Center is a sprawling facility that offers horse-riding and other equestrian activities. It is a great place to connect with horses, nature and take a riding lesson.
8. The Springs Restaurant: The Springs Restaurant is a perfect setting for brunch by the springs. It has a wide variety of cuisine and great service. The ambiance is amazing on a hot summer day.
9. The Ravine Gardens State Park: The Ravine Gardens State Park has a natural setting complete with hanging gardens, trees, and native flora. The park is popular with nature lovers and boasts scenic walking trails.
10. The Boneyard Beach: If you fancy a natural experience, check out Boneyard Beach. Visitors can go fishing, kayaking, or hiking among the amazing flora and fauna.
Places to avoid:
1. Local dive bars: Avoid local dive bars if you are looking for upscale establishments.
2. Secluded alleyways: Avoid secluded alleyways and desolate areas of the city. Stick to well-lit areas and popular tourist sites.
3. Interstate 95: Avoid Interstate 95 during rush hour as the traffic can be unbearable.
4. The Greyhound Bus Station: It is located in a sketchy part of town, and not safe after dark.
5. The Halfway House RV Park: The Halfway House RV Park has been known for theft, drugs, and unsavory elements in the past. It is best to avoid it at any cost.
Overview about the city:
|Average Temperature by Season:||Spring (70-85°F), Summer (80-95°F), Fall (65-85°F), Winter (50-70°F)|
|Best Time to Visit:||Spring and Fall (March-May and September-November)|