Marathon, Florida is a beautiful city located in the Florida Keys. It is known for its stunning beaches, crystal waters, and diverse marine life. Tourists come from all over the world to enjoy its unique attractions and natural landscapes. Below are ten places to visit and five places to avoid in Marathon, Florida.
10 Places to Visit:
1. Sombrero Beach: This beach is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful beaches in the Florida Keys. It is a great place to relax, swim, and sunbathe.
2. The Turtle Hospital: The Turtle Hospital is a fascinating place that provides a sanctuary for sick and injured sea turtles. Visitors can learn about the different species of turtles and see them up close.
3. Curry Hammock State Park: This park is a great place for outdoor adventures. Visitors can go kayaking, snorkeling, or even take a hike on one of the many trails.
4. Seven Mile Bridge: This iconic bridge offers breathtaking views of the surrounding waters and is a popular spot for fishing and boating.
5. Dolphin Research Center: Visitors can learn about these intelligent sea creatures and even get to swim with them in a safe, controlled environment.
6. Pigeon Key: This small island is rich in history and offers tours of the old railroad workers’ houses and buildings.
7. Marathon Marina: A hub of activity for fishing charters and boat rentals. A perfect place to experience the authentic fishing lifestyle of the Florida Keys.
8. Grassy Key: Nestled between Marathon and Duck Key, this little island is perfect for paddle boarding and kayaking.
9. Marathon Wild Bird Center: Visitors can see a plethora of wild birds on this center. The center focuses on rehabilitating sick and injured birds.
10. Crane Point Museum and Nature Center: This lovely museum and nature center is a great place for families and offers hiking trails, exhibits, and history of the region.
5 Places to Avoid:
1. McDonald’s: This is the only McDonald’s on a 50-mile stretch! However, since you are in Marathon, why not experience the authentic cuisine of the Florida Keys.
2. Cheap motels: While there are some affordable hotel options in the area, it is best to avoid the cheaper motels that do not maintain high standards of cleanliness or safety.
3. Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center: This place has received negative reviews for its lack of response in customer complaints.
4. Coco Plum Beach: This beach is narrow, pebbly, and lacks sand. Several visitors have expressed disappointment in the beach.
5. The hammock that overlooks the airport: This spot can be noisy and distracting since it is near an airport.
Overview about the city:
|Language||Currency||Average Temperature by Season||Best time to visit||City Official (URL href)||Trip Advisor (URL href)|
|English||United States Dollar (USD)||Winter (December – February) High 75°F / Low 64°F, Spring (March – May) High 84°F / Low 71°F, Summer (June – August) High 90°F / Low 79°F, Fall (September – November) High 84°F / Low 72°F||November to April is the best time to visit as temperatures are mild and the crowds are thinner||https://www.marathonflorida.org/||https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34347-Marathon_Florida_Keys_Florida-Vacations.html|
In conclusion, Marathon, Florida is a fantastic vacation spot with many attractions and natural wonders to explore. While there are a few places to avoid, there are countless places to visit that will leave visitors in awe of the beauty of the Florida Keys.